Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Blogging Community – Won’t you be my neighbor?

Last night, I was pondering the question – “why do I blog.” If I wanted to keep a diary I easily could (old school or on the computer). It’s the comments – definitely the freaking comments. I don’t consider myself an egomaniac that believes my words should be “heard.” In this world of jet setters – people moving for jobs/school/families/randomness – there really is no local community the way there used to be. I’ve moved so many times! I left the East Coast and then NoCal and now I’m in SoCal (and who knows for how long). My best buds are scattered throughout the country. I don’t know my neighbors. LA isn’t necessarily a warm, fuzzy place. And it’s freaking hard making new friends – it takes time – and then I seem to move as soon I make them. I think blogging, at least for me, is an attempt to create a community (which is desperately lacking in this society were everyone seems to be a transplant of some sort). It doesn’t matter where I move – cyberspace allows my blogging-community to always be present. So in sum, the comments make me *feel* as if I do have a community – so “hullo neighbors!”

8 comments:

Chai said...

HI!

and i feel like people who read my blog are now my friends who, as logical and emotion would have it, are vested in my life. that's a nice outcome.

Bengali Chick said...

Hello Chai (neigbor). Same here -- it's definitely a nice outcome.

sherni said...

Aww, I love it. That's so true. I'll gladly be your virtual neighbor =)

Bengali Chick said...

Hullo Neigbhors! It's so nice being able to choose my neigbors -- you guys are so nice, respectful and quiet.

Indira said...

I love your blog voice, your blog attitude, and don't mind at all to be your neighbour.
You are my kind of gal!:)
and hey... thanks for the link.

Bengali Chick said...

Feeling all *fuzzy* and warm inside.

Roonie said...

I'm your neighbor. Hi neighbor. I think the people whose blogs I read are my friends too. I have a certain special love for Chai, Maisnon, and Heather. And this guy and his sister. And you, but of course.

MA said...

Just found your blog and I love it! I'm all about the comments as well, it's a nice way to meet people.

ZONKERS, refound my blog (THIS blog) from 2005

Wow, it's cringe worthy in all of its honest glory.  I am in the middle of re-reading almost 500 posts.  It's awesome to relive most...