Monday, May 15, 2006

Curl Girl

“Curl Girl” is the title of a fantastic book for all you peeps with curly/wavy hair. According to this book, 65% of people have curly/wavy hair (we’re not alone out there – though both Bollywood and Hollywood seem to glorify straight hair).

Trust me I’ve thought about getting my hair permanently straightened – we’re told that curls aren’t professional – they’re too fun – and of course not sophisticated. Well this book basically says it’s not your hair that needs straightening – it’s your head. Seriously, I have curly hair and I hide from it and slave away trying to straighten out my locks – sheer craziness.

So last week I tried to research on how to get my curls to look good and all sources pointed to this book. Here are a few of the secrets:

  1. Don’t ever shampoo your hair (you can clean your scalp with conditioner – shampoo is detergent and bad for scalp/hair) – I tried this and I swear by it. And no my hair does not smell. My scalp is actually clean. And no grease is not dripping down my face.
  2. After getting out the shower do not towel dry hair – simply blot (keep the curls in shape)
  3. My favorite advice – a simple gel (non-alcoholic and non-sticky) will suffice. Trust me when I say I have spent a ridiculous amount of money on the perfect product. Buying a $3 gel was amazing – holy sh*t I didn’t have to drop $40 for a curl cream – WOWZERS.
  4. Techniques to get your hair to frame your face well (basically a few clips on the top of your head). I can’t describe these simple techniques – the pics in the book are fab. My hair doesn’t fall flat against my head anymore!
  5. Air dry if you can and blow dry on low with diffuser otherwise

The book had tons more info – but this is the main “how to” gist. I have been trying for the past month to wear my hair curly. As soon as the hair dried – I hated it – it looked disgusting… and of course I would pull out my straightening iron AGAIN. This book last week was my salvation. My hair completely rocks today – bouncy, fun, full, sex-i-licious. Where’s hubby now? My hair is HOT – curls are rocking!!!!!!

2 comments:

Roonie said...

Well, considering the in-depth talks we've had about curly hair, I have to believe that this book is good, if you've recommended it. My hair was looking snaz-ZAY today, but I think that's because (1) I let it air dry and (2) THE YUCKY CUT IS FINALLY GROWING OUT! Oh, and (3) I pinned down a side a little so that it isn't so BOOOOOOOOOOOIINNNNNG. Yay.

Bengali Chick said...

You can totally borrow the book -- I've already read it and it's sitting on my desk!

ZONKERS, refound my blog (THIS blog) from 2005

Wow, it's cringe worthy in all of its honest glory.  I am in the middle of re-reading almost 500 posts.  It's awesome to relive most...