Tuesday, August 8, 2006

Cancel My Blog?

I’ve been thinking that I may want to discontinue this blog. What I’m sure about is that I’m totally unsure on what to do.

Reasons I love blogging:

*I love to write. I find it very cathartic. It’s a forum to release angst, love, anxiety, confusion … essentially to express any emotion.

*Building community -- especially in such a transient world where it seems like no one stays in their hometown.

*Motivation. Yes, I could have a diary. Yes, I could just type on Word and save it. But I love writing on an online forum, it motivates me to write; perhaps it is because I see my thoughts “published.”

*Staying in touch with dear friends in the East Coast versus sending mass emails.

Reasons I’m starting to dislike blogging:

There’s only one reason, fear. Someone could find me in the real world. Someone who is a potential psychopath. I’ve been getting nasty comments from a very creepy dude. He has made ad hominem attacks. I don’t know him. I’m assuming I remind him of an ex or he is just a loser looking to spew hate. Living in la la land this dude could potentially show up at my door and shoot me.

I don’t post from work so I don’t really care about getting fired. If the gov’t wants to suppress free speech on my time, I’ll take those b*tches down.

But creepy dudes scare me.

3 comments:

Roonie said...

Of course, I'm going to tell you not to cancel. Do you think this person is able to locate you via your blog? I don't feel like there's enough information for a complete stranger to track you down. But if you feel unsafe, I mean, really, really unsafe, then don't let a blog stand in your way...at least just change the url, and don't leave the blogosphere completely.

West Coast Mommy said...

Don't cancel, just change the url as roonie suggests. and email new url to your friends only... that way this crazy can't find it.

Chai said...

don't let fear dictate you passions of writing.

i think the one thing that i would be fearful of is writing about work. which i don't do cause i'm scared of being dooced.

but don't stop cause of a freak.

ZONKERS, refound my blog (THIS blog) from 2005

Wow, it's cringe worthy in all of its honest glory.  I am in the middle of re-reading almost 500 posts.  It's awesome to relive most...