Thursday, May 31, 2007

If My Husband Had Cancer

If my brother had cancer. If my mother had cancer. If my child had cancer. If my friend had cancer. If my loved one had cancer. My dad has cancer. If a bone marrow transplant could save my loved one, I would move heaven and earth to find a match.

This post deeply saddened me. I can only imagine what the wife is going through. A picture of the couple is to the right. Her husband is 28 years old with a rare form of leukemia diangosed in November 2006. He's a medical student. Their life is just starting. She shouldn't be afraid of losing her life-partner. I can't even imagine losing my husband.

From Vinay's website (Vinay is the one who has cancer):

When a Caucasian is looking for a match they find 15 matches on an average where as opposed to an Indian they might find one match or none.
There are not enough South Asians in the bone marrow registry. Since Vinay is Indian, there is a greater likelihood of finding a match among the same population as we share similar genes (genetic markers). It is important that as many Indians join the Bone Marrow Registry in the upcoming weeks to maximize Vinay's chances of finding a suitable donor.
There are drives happening in CA. Click on Vinay's website for more info. Otherwise you can always register NMDP. My husband and I are going to register next weekend.

2 comments:

Trollerboi said...

Sad news. My friend's Dad passed away from lung cancer last week. Just found out about it today. It's such a cruel disease. He was a dedicated outdoorsman. Didnt smoke. Was diagnosed only a couple of months back and now he's gone. My friend is shattered. The funeral is today in DC. I cant be there but will send a donation.

Irony.

I get an email yday from an old old friend that after years of trying and some special expensive (and painful) procedures, they are finally planning the big arrival in June. Eager with anticipation. New paint on the walls. Same mail, he tells me his mother is slipping into dementia.

It's an odd bittersweet season. Your blog is another facet of this to me. Thanks for sharing it.

Bengali Chick said...

I think I've come to realize that we can't do anything to avoid the bad stuff in life. It's just going to happen. Focusing on that stuff is just depressing. This is the only life we've got and we gotta make the best of it. I am in a super good mood today. I ain't gonna let shit get me down, damnit, or die trying.

ZONKERS, refound my blog (THIS blog) from 2005

Wow, it's cringe worthy in all of its honest glory.  I am in the middle of re-reading almost 500 posts.  It's awesome to relive most...