Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Green Bling Bling

I love jewelry. I have what I consider lots of jewelery. All of my jewels are from my parents or from family for my wedding. I'm not a bling bling person. I hate spending frivolous money. I'm frugal and I love being frugal. Also, I really don't like the guilt associated with jewelery, specifically diamonds. I'm certainly not the most green or socially responsible person, but I try. It's important to me. I'm more than happy to spend money to be a more socially responsible consumer (hybrid, organic, fair trade, etc).

I'm not going to say that I haven't considered buying a huge rock. Hubby's asked and I've considered. I don't have an engagement ring, we eloped! I have 2 rings that I wear as my wedding band. They have tiny diamonds in them. Oops (but that was 3 years ago and I've grown and my views have changed for the better -- thank you Cali). I'd be lying if I said that I want a diamond SOLELY because I find it to be sparkly and shiny, hence beautiful. Come one, my cz's shine just as much as any diamond. Let's be real, I'd want a huge big fat rock so people can look at me and think 2 things: 1) wow, she has tons of money and 2) her husband must adore her. I don't want to be that person. I could easily become that person.

I did a search on socially responsible jewelry and found greenKarat:

Our greater goal at greenKarat is to end destructive gold and diamond mining. We do not, however, strive to force that change through radical activism. While activist organizations play a critically important role in educating and motivating consumers, we believe that widespread and permanent change will ultimately occur through the voice of consumer buying decisions.

Our mission is to provide an ecologically and socially responsible jewelry alternative to those who seek change. We want to help you, in some small way, become part of the permanent solution. Together we can make a difference.

How beautiful are these rings? The one above and to the left is called the Gatsby Redux, named after The Great Gatsby. I think it's utterly gorgeous. The rings are affordable and there is ZERO guilt. Let me tell you why this ring is beautiful:

5 comments:

IslandGirl said...

That's a great alternative.

maya said...

*Honestly* it looks about as appealing as a piece of synthetic fruit salad. What's even sadder, is that because of the way it's built like a "traditional" (read de Beers) ring, it seems very "wannabe."

Your motives for not getting a traditional ring are both romantic (you eloped!) as well as socially responsible. Why not go with those impulses and find something that means something special to you and your hubby, something that's totally off the tired track?

Big A and I were both students when we got hitched and hyper aware of diamond mining practices; so we decided to use diamonds that had been in the family for generations. But i never wear it (much to his chagrin)--all day long i'm surrounded by women too poor or too unloved and i feel like a big ring would be like a visible taunt. So i stick to wearing my really simple Cartier platinum band that's so dinged up at this point that it looks like silver from the mall island :)

Bengali Chick said...

I love it. I think it's absolutely gorgeous. I like rings of this style -- but that's a matter of taste;) Plus I want to spend my money on companies that are socially responsible. I just don't find recycling diamonds to be socially responsible for ME. I'd rather not ever have to deal with diamonds or contribute to the diamond industry in any manner in the future.

I don't find Cartier platinum bands to be off the beaten track. But this rings sure is to me:)

tamasha said...

The one you've chosen is not really my style, but I love the sentiment behind it. I like the hammered gold bands and the Diatom.

Scorps1027 said...

wow, i take a hiatus from reading blogs, and i've missed so much!

i think the real trick in finding a ring is having it say something about you and reflecting who YOU are as a person. i love to appreciate a piece of jewelry that truly reflects the person's taste and style.

i love that you are in love with the ring and it makes me search and find the beauty and parts of you in this ring! your social consciousness is commendale and that makes the ring all the more gorgeous.

ZONKERS, refound my blog (THIS blog) from 2005

Wow, it's cringe worthy in all of its honest glory.  I am in the middle of re-reading almost 500 posts.  It's awesome to relive most...