Monday, December 4, 2006

Feisty Little One

This was probably one of the most miserable weekends of my life. Let me start by saying that all the pain and discomfort I am going through is worth it for the little one growing in my belly. Even though it's surreal that hubby and I have created a life, I am in so in love with this baby. I spent all of Saturday puking my brains out. Everytime I drank water I would puke it up. It got so bad that hubby and I went to the ER around 12:30 AM. The doctor diagnosed me with hyperemesis gravidarum which basically translates to -- hormones in body from baby causes puking one's brains out. I am deathly afraid of needles, yes I know, I best get used to it while being preggers. The nurse stuck me with a needle as I needed an IV... my hand turned so cold and it was utterly uncomfortable. I couldn't even look at the needle.

My Salvation: My best friend and her lovely advice. BF is a clinical nutritionist and she pulled out her notes from a maternity class and suggested that I try ginger tea and real gingerale. The ginger really calms down my tummy along with rice crackers. This baby is having a field day in my belly.

Then the cramps started last night. We of course called doctor sahib and he explained that it was normal to feel cramping in the lower left quadrant as it was indication of my uterus expanding. Baby is snuggling up inside of mamma-bear.

My husband has been an angel. He's taken such good care of me this weekend. Even my MIL and mom have been amazing. Both were willing to fly down as soon as I started the non-stop puking. I feel truly blessed.

I'm going to stay at home today and take it easy and hopefully tomorrow I will feel up to going to work. As much as all of this sucks, I am so excited that my little Benjabi is here (Bengali + Punjabi = Benjabi)

5 comments:

CM said...

Ick. Did they prescribe anything, or do you just have to try to settle your stomach as much as you can?

First trimester is no fun, but at least it doesn't last forever (even though sometimes it feels like it will)!

Mona said...

Congratulations!! i can sense all your excitement. i'm pregnant too, in my 23rd week now. i remember when i was a few weeks along and sicker than a dog, thinking that i couldn't handle it, but here i am to tell you that it will pass! yay. two lousy months but when you see your baby on your first scan or when your baby starts moving sometime in the 5th month, it will all be so worth it!
good luck.
keep a baby blog: it's a great way to vent and share, all at once. and remember too, most mommies forget everything about thier pregnancies, the moment they're over.
i'm at www.babystory.wordpress.com

Shauna said...

Oh goodness, that sounds lousy. But I'm also a little jealous, I have to admit. My Chef and I want to have babies, and next year, I'm hoping I am where you are. Even if it means puking up my guts all day!

Feel better.

Bengali Chick said...

CM: No drugs. But I am feeling much better. I am trying to enjoy even the gross-ness of puking!

Mona: Thank you. Congrats on your baby!!! I'm going to start my babyblog right here on this one. I can't wait until the baby moves. My next doctor's appt is 12/20 -- I seriously can't wait. You're right about mommies forgetting about pregnancy, my MIL and my mom don't rember a thing!

Shauna: Thank you. I was jealous of everyone that I came across that was preggers b/c I wanted to be preggers so badly! You and the Chef are going to be amazing parents with beautiful children.

Roonie said...

My poor pregnant friendie.

ZONKERS, refound my blog (THIS blog) from 2005

Wow, it's cringe worthy in all of its honest glory.  I am in the middle of re-reading almost 500 posts.  It's awesome to relive most...