Thursday, February 8, 2007

Wethersfield Avenue

Being home with my parents makes me nostalgic of the various places we lived. The first house that I can remember was on Wethersfield Avenue in Connecticut. The house was a pine green duplex. Our family lived on one side of the duplex that had three floors. My paternal grandparents lived on the first floor. My mom, dad, BD and I lived on the middle floor. My 4 uncles and 1 aunt crammed in on the third floor. My dad being the eldest provided for the entire family, as the rest of his siblings were still in their teenage years. My grandparents were fond of procreating.

We had little to very little money; funny thing is I didn’t realize just how poor we were. I thought eating cereal with water was the norm, and actually found it tasty. Once in a while we would splurge and get McDonald’s or Burger King and of course split one large fry between the four of us, I hoarded my share and ate them slowly. I remember maybe 5 occasions where the whole family, including extended family, would order a large pizza, and I would savor my slice. Yes, I always wanted an extra slice, but I was never hungry, my mom would heap my plate full of savory Bengali food. I suppose it was a good thing, I never ate very much junk food; it was always rice and curry at my house. My grandma was very stingy and would always heap my plate full of rice with little dahl; but my grandfather would always sneak me more of his famous dahl. They were good times, lots of great conversation and laughter. We were one big family.

I realize now that we lived in a bad neighborhood. You would think that our neighbor getting shot or a gang member blowing up my uncle’s car that set the house partially on fire would tip me off. I was a naiveté lad. I was blissfully unaware of my surroundings, because it was home.

It’s pretty obvious that I came from the working class. My mom worked for a parachute factory and sewed parachutes; she is an excellent seamstress. I loved the beautiful dresses my mom made for me. My dad had 2 full time jobs, running my grandfather’s restaurant and working as a machinist at a factory. We were fed well.

I had few toys. I had one doll and my brother had a few blocks and a transformer. Our favorite game was the Imagination Game. We would pretend we were on an adventure in our backyard. We would pretend that sticks were our swords. We were on a mission to find treasure, Goonies style. We would make up pretend characters and battle with them. I could play this game for hours, I never tired of it.

We lived this way until I was 9 years old. My uncles and aunt and graduated from high school and my dad felt that he had fulfilled his obligation to them. He and my mom saved enough money to buy their own restaurant and a modest home in a safer town (another story for another time).

I never felt that my childhood was lacking. I had lots of love and lots of home made food. I always felt safe. To this day, it hurts my heart a little when I spend money. My experience has made me less of a materialistic person. I generally shop at Ross or Forever 21 and always buy items on sale. Don’t get me wrong, I admire the clothes at Barney’s New York and I do have one fabulous skirt and suit from there, but even now having the money to afford that lifestyle, I just can’t. Plus with style and flair, you can always throw together a knockout outfit.

I started writing this post because I realize that I am uncomfortable around rich folks (people that grew up with money versus the nouveau riche). I don’t feel like I’m part of their club. It’s hard for me to relate to them. I go to these functions at hubby’s work, and I suppose they think I’m one of them when they hear I’m from Connecticut, little do they know it was the ghetto version of Connecticut, East of the River. I connect better with those who came from working families. Every single friend I have, close friend, comes from the diametric opposite of a privileged background. Struggle makes someone hardy, and many times more real.

10 comments:

roonie said...

I realize that I am uncomfortable around rich folks (people that grew up with money versus the nouveau riche). I don’t feel like I’m part of their club.

Me too. And that's what I love about you. That we might have earned our right to be a part of those circles, but that we still prefer not to be a part of them. And that we find more satisfaction outside of them.

Bengali Chick said...

Roonie, I love you! You're of the hardiest stock my friend:)

It will pass... said...

My hubby has family in Cali, and they are rich and snotty. He and I both came from the poor, working class, and have always worked our tooshies off to make ends meet. It is so awkward and wierd to be around his rich family, because they are spoiled and have had everything handed to them. I prefer to steer cleer of those peeps.

agk said...

thanks for sharing this. i think it's so amazing to look back on how different my frame of reference was as a child or even teenager -- how i was less prone to categorize people or experiences, that i had less cultural capital with which to judge or analyze. i extremely wealthy kids -- they grow up with arugula, sea salt, and sashimi as part of their normal vocabulary; seven jeans are "bad" jeans. i look at them in wonder, remembering how i had so little compared to them. yet, i feel as though my childhood was so much more fulfilling -- who needs toys when you have the Imagination Game?? I still play it now :)

Mediocre Blogger said...

What a heartwarming post, BC! I admit I got goosebumps reading it. I can't say that my family struggled as much as yours, but there were definitely times when money was tight, and like you I never felt it. As for spending money, I'm right there with you. It was a big step for me to upgrade from Lee jeans to Levis.

Pritilata said...

Despite a lack of material possessions, you were raised in the RICHEST of households because you are/were loved :) How many rich people can say that?? Not to go a bit off topic or anything, but I guess I am realizing with Anna Nicole Smith's death -- she had access to lots of wealth, but the one thing she told people all the time was how lonely she was. If I had a choice, I would choose a modest existence but lots of love over all the money in the world!!

Planethalder said...

What a wonderful story!

Rashmi said...

There is a difference between the wealthy and the rich though. The rich have money and buy luxury items and show them off because they have entered that circle. The wealthy have money and buy luxury items, but won't let you ever feel that you have less than them. I'm sad to say that many Indians are rich and that is a bad thing. I feel like writing about this in my blog...

Bengali Chick said...

Rashmi, nice distinction, I agree with you.

Delfino Rules said...

I have always read your blog and enjoyed your honest, refreshing take on life. This post is easily my favorite, because of the nostagic and loving way you describe your childhood. I would only disagree with one point.

I grew up in a small blue-collar town in the midwest. We were raised in relative comfort, but always aware that money doesn't grow on trees and that we were lucky to be where we are, because most of the people in my town and school never graduate from high school, let alone college. It was only when I was a teenager that I realized my family was "rich" or wealthy compared to the others around us (my parents are physicians). Despite this, my Dad, who was largely raised in poverty back in India, did everything he could to impart on us the value of hard work and that money not earned means nothing. I would agree that inherited wealth tends to ruin people, but there is also no glory in poverty. What ultimately matters is the individual; I wouldn't consider myself or the people I grew up around to be spoiled, snobbish or anything similar; that was something I only experienced when I met the Long Island crowd in college. Growing up in the CT, I can see how you would have negative impressions of the wealthy types that live there, but I would contend that such people are rare and not the norm.

In other words, I don't think growing up in relative material comfort makes you a bad person, as long as you don't take it to mean that you are somehow superior to people who didn't. So I think you should consider making friends with some of us that maybe had it a little easier ;-)

ZONKERS, refound my blog (THIS blog) from 2005

Wow, it's cringe worthy in all of its honest glory.  I am in the middle of re-reading almost 500 posts.  It's awesome to relive most...