Friday, May 4, 2007

Because She Is Brown

I never take work home with me. I would be an emotional wreck if I did. I deal with some intensely personal issues. I do my job with professionalism and to the best of my ability. When 6 PM hits, I close my door and leave all of my clients’ problems at the office, usually.

On my drive home I started thinking about the Punjabi lady who called me. She had my MIL’s name and even sounded like her. I don’t want to say I’m a bitch, but I don’t usually get emotional when clients cry to me. I stay logical, focused and detached. But when this brown woman cried and I heard her Punjabi accented English asking for help between her sobs, my heart went out to her. I f*cking thought about her on my entire drive home.

My heart was heavy last night b/c I kept thinking what if MIL or my mom were in Punjabi lady’s shoes. Now my mind is clouded with emotion. Wonderful.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wondering what the pic has to do with the post?

Bengali Chick said...

I wanted a sweet pic of a brown lady on the post. She's cute and reminds me kinda of my grandma.

Morphism said...

I hate carrying thoughts home from "work", but have never had choice in the matter. One thinks about things that one is struck by. Not much to be done about it.

roonie said...

I'm guessing that you should treat all of your clients as if they were your grandma, especially since this one affected you that way just because she was brown-sounding. It would make you that much better of an employee.

Anonymous said...

:-).. awwwwwwww... u're so sweet!

ZONKERS, refound my blog (THIS blog) from 2005

Wow, it's cringe worthy in all of its honest glory.  I am in the middle of re-reading almost 500 posts.  It's awesome to relive most...