Wednesday, May 3, 2006

Quinoa Pasta

I have Celiac’s Disease – okay it’s not as gross as it may sound. I basically have an allergy to foods with gluten (i.e. bread, cakes, pasta, anything with flour). Sorry not very scientific.

I miss pasta—really miss pasta. So last night I make Quinoa Pasta. Quinoa is a “supergrain” – tons of protein and complete array of amino acids (perfect for vegetarians). I bought the quinoa shells for Whole Foods. The pasta tastes like regular pasta (well a bit more nutty) – super healthy & super fabulous!!!

While I boiled the pasta I whizzed up a spicy sauce with cremini mushrooms. I sautéed in a skillet with some olive oil -- half a red onion, garlic (tons), cremini mushrooms and of course chili pepper (enough to burn). Added a good quality pre-made spaghetti sauce (gluten free of course)… added chopped spinach….sprinkled in some mozzarella… added my quinoa pasta and VOILA gluten free vegetarian pasta. Oh sooooooo goooooood.

Currently stuffing my face.

1 comment:

Ennis said...

I've been eating Quinoa straight up. It's interesting. I prefer couscous, but it's not a bad substitute.

ZONKERS, refound my blog (THIS blog) from 2005

Wow, it's cringe worthy in all of its honest glory.  I am in the middle of re-reading almost 500 posts.  It's awesome to relive most...