Saturday, August 5, 2006

Couple-dom

The City can be so lonely. Surrounded by people, so many of whom are trying to make a connection. Hoping to feel in sync with someone’s groove, their spirit. Straining ears to hear conversations above chitter-chatter. Looking at new faces searching for familiarity, commonality. Hoping something in the conversation clicks, transforming it into an effortless dance of language.

Then there’s that someone constantly by my side. It feels unfamiliar to walk without extending my right arm slightly back with open extended fingers…he’s always there waiting. He stands behind me while I sway to music, places his hands around my waist, cocooning my womb. His hands are filled with warmth, touching the one area of my body where the squishiness hides and melting away all of my insecurities. He whispers in my ear and makes me laugh out loud. He kisses the back of my neck and makes me melt. He’s catches my eye and smiles, reassuring me that the City isn’t so lonely.

Best part of the night: Curled up in a corner bench, my legs extended and sprawled over his. My body pressed up against his side and my head gently leaning on his shoulders. His arm draped across my shoulders. A man comes up to us and says, “I would love to be in a club with my wife, sitting in a bench with her, with her legs sprawled over mine. You’re very lucky. I don't have a wife.” We look at each other and smile, fully understanding the happiness of finding our partner.

4 comments:

Roonie said...

Nice. But nauseating regardless.

Bengali Chick said...

Come now, it rocks!

Roonie said...

I wouldn't know, silly! And I guess I'm not interested in knowing!

Bengali Chick said...

One day you will! Trust. If you ever meet Rye -- ask him the "Love Actually" story. I too was once like you my friend. Now I'm a die-hard romantic ball of mush:)

ZONKERS, refound my blog (THIS blog) from 2005

Wow, it's cringe worthy in all of its honest glory.  I am in the middle of re-reading almost 500 posts.  It's awesome to relive most...