Saturday, October 14, 2006

Drugstore Dior

Wow. I am in shock and can't believe what I'm going to write next. I have been having bloggin'-writer's block and of course my favorite topic (well second favorite after sex), makeup, brought back my writing inspiration.

Tom, one of my brother's friends, came with my brother for an impromptu visit. This boy is 23 years old and well looks like a hippy; however, his hair is perfect. He has gorgeous curly ringlets. I asked him what the secret to his curly bliss was and he replied, the "shower and shake" method. Well I put away my expensive Bumble & Bumble hair products and tried the shower and shake. I took a shower and used my ordinary shampoo and conditioner. I squeezed my damp hair in the shower. I went in front of the bathroom, flipped my hair upside down, violently shook my hair and that was it. I'm not kidding. My hair is now dry and it looks good. Sure there's a tiny bit of frizz but overall I'm impressed – really impressed. No product, no blow dryer with diffuser, no slaving over my hair and I got a good hair day.

With the good hair day sans spending mad money, I decided to walk over to Rite Aid during lunch and buy drug store mascara. I never thought I would ever buy drug store mascara – I'm sorry I'm a mascara snob. I love va va voom lashes – lashes that look fake -- and use either DiorShow of Super Nova by Fresh for $25 a tube. I purchased Revlon's Fabulash Mascara for $6.99 b/c it came with my choice of free eye shadow (hard for a makeup junkie like me to pass up). I of course saved the receipt b/c I had no doubt this mascara would suck. I went into my office and applied two coats and I'm in shock. Shock I tell ya. My eyelashes look fab. Literally fab. I kid you not. Sure my lashes could be a wee bit more voluminous (I'll try 3 coats tomorrow) but I'm kinda in love. My lashes are extremely long, curled sans the eyelash curler and pretty damn thick. For $6.99 I'm siked.

So this is the beginning of a new way of thinking for me. I can purchase drugstore mascara for under $10 and get pretty fabulous lashes. Don't get me wrong, I will always have on stock my Fresh or DiorShow for parties and such but for everyday wear I may be switching to drug store mascara. I feel guilty even preaching this blasphemy. But this will start a new chapter on this blog – the drug store makeup review.

2 comments:

T. said...

I completey support this decision. I personally, go for the basic pink tube Great Lash of mascara. BUT stick to Urban Decay/MAC eye shadow and eye liner.

Going drug store for makeup is all good.

Bengali Chick said...

After your post about Urban Decay, I went and checked them out at Sephora -- love their colors!!!

ZONKERS, refound my blog (THIS blog) from 2005

Wow, it's cringe worthy in all of its honest glory.  I am in the middle of re-reading almost 500 posts.  It's awesome to relive most...