Tuesday, December 18, 2007

More house = more problems

I have a lot of shit to write about. I promise I'll get to updating on my last 3 or so days in Taipei. I have to upload pics. But we just moved into our new house. I am so fuggin' overwhelmed. I have almost 2,000 sq/ft of house and I don't know what the hell I'm doing. It's been one debacle after another (here are just a few):
  • Land from our 13 hour trip and find out we have no keys to the house. Call locksmith in the wee hours of the morning.
  • My gorgeous sofa will not fit. The movers can not get it in via elevator or stairs. I'm forced to order a sectional. My antropologie rug came yesterday but now is it too small for a sectional? I won't get my sofa until February!!!!
  • My absolutely stunning washer and dryer came on Saturday. I purchased a Kenmore H5t It's front load, high efficiency (saves on water) and has wicked steam functions that take out most wrinkles! Yes, it was a splurge but it makes me swoon. The washer fits perfectly in my linen closet and I can close the left linen door. The dryer does not b/c of the big ass metal tube. The dryer is actually in the linen room 100% BUT the door doesn't close all the way. I'm not freaking out b/c it's not really an eye sore b/c the washer/dryer is BEAUTIFUL. But still...
  • The brand new GE fridge was not properly hooked up or the hosing that connects the fridge to the water pipe is defective. Our poor neighbor got water damage b/c of it! Thankfully our condo is on the top floor and we have minimal damage. GE is coming on 12/26 to take a look at the fridge.
  • We didn't have heat for days! Problem finally got solved.

How the fuck do you clean hardwood floors? I bought Orange Glo cleaner and emailed the builders regarding the product. Score! I bought the correct product (this makes me giddy which is sad):

Bengali Chick,

You picked up the exact product that you should use on your floors. We use that to clean our units prior to move-ins. Just spray directly to the floor and wipe with a terry cloth rag or towel. Hint: Make sure you put felt sliders under all chairs and tables. Good luck and HappyHolidays!

Regards,

Matt

4 comments:

LL said...

This is what I'm dreading about buying a house this summer (I'm still very excited about being a homeowner, but it is a lot of additional work!). All our apartments have had wood floors and we used the orange glo with a mop -I would fill the sink up with some warm water and the cleaner and use a spongy mop once a month of so. I just recently bought a Shark from Bed Bath & Beyond and it steam cleans floors (safe on wood) and it's amazing- so much easier! It's kind of pricey ($80), but I wish I had bought it sooner.

Good luck with your new house to do list!

Zed said...

Good luck and Happy Holidays!! I'm sure the little inconveniences will settle soon....:)

Mediocre Blogger said...

Congrats on the new house!

It's nice that you bought the cleaner for the floors and all, but $1 says in 6 months your cleaning efforts will involve little more than a broom and dustpan. I say this from experience.

Esha said...

My mom just got wood floors in her house and totally put felt under furniture. We made a terrible mistake of not doing so and have a terrible gash along the wall. To clean we use Orange Glo too. Good stuff! Hope the house demands settle down soon so you can actually enjoy your new place :)

ZONKERS, refound my blog (THIS blog) from 2005

Wow, it's cringe worthy in all of its honest glory.  I am in the middle of re-reading almost 500 posts.  It's awesome to relive most...