Monday, May 1, 2006

Friends, a trying game

Making friends can be really annoying. Why does it have to take so much effort? I’ve known my best friend since I was 11 – she’s in Manhattan and I miss having her around. I want to recreate the ease of my friendship with P here in LA and it’s been trying. Do you know what kind of relationship I mean? Having someone to go to Target with for no reason, staying up late and eating snacks and watching infomercials…..doing absolutely NOTHING yet it is FUN as hell. I know, I’ve had almost 17 years to nurture my friendship with her. She’s like my sister, no -- she is my sister.

Hubby and I went out with a couple on Saturday night. Conversation was trying. It was a bit awkward. I felt as if the girl wasn’t being authentic. We left dinner and I immediately dismissed them as not being cool enough. Hubby and I gossiped about the couple which is one marital joy I will never tire of.

I was a bit depressed – I don’t want more acquaintances or people to party with – I want real friends. The ones you can count on. I text messaged P at 1:00 am and she called me 15 minutes later. It was around 4:15 am in NYC. We chatted about nothing and it was wonderful as every conversation is with her. The depression left b/c I thought how many people have friends like P?

2 comments:

maisnon said...

The kind of neat thing about friends, though, is you never know when you're going to meet the next, great one.

P.S. - Roonie turned me onto your blog

Bengali Chick said...

That's very true! Thank you. Hopefully the same applies to finding the great new job:)

ZONKERS, refound my blog (THIS blog) from 2005

Wow, it's cringe worthy in all of its honest glory.  I am in the middle of re-reading almost 500 posts.  It's awesome to relive most...