Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Surreal

I’ve been thinking about having a baby for quite some time now. Hubby and I have overanalyzed the issue to death. While I feel financially and emotionally ready for a child, the idea still terrified me. Many nights during love making hubby would pose the questions, “protection or not?” – fear would strike my heart and I of course would scream, “YES protection.”

Lately things have been changing. My desire to become a mother has been growing and came to a head last night. Last night the question of using protection came up and I just knew the answer to that question was a definitive no. I was ready and willing to accept all the changes that come with having a child. I felt at ease with that decision, serenity overcame me as we made love. This morning I woke up ecstatic at the prospect that I maybe a mother soon. I was soo ecstatic that I woke up at 4 AM and tried to wake up my husband to share my enthusiasm. When I left the apartment this morning my husband kissed me goodbye and said, “Bye honey, I love you. Bye baby, I love you.” We’re just ready. It feels so good.

Of course I’ve been preparing for this moment to occur – the moment where I’d finally be ready. I’ve been taking my vitamins (getting my 400mg of Folate), eating well, reducing caffeine to 1 cup of green tea a day.. hell I even scheduled an appointment with my OBGYN for a pre-pregnancy consultation. Today I’m going to head off to Target to pick up some more calcium supplements. Yes, I a planner and creating a child is the most important decision of my life.

It’s surreal how I am at complete peace with this decision, euphoric really. All the concerns I had about balancing work and family and social life have all faded away. I am willing to take all necessary steps to create a person who is good hearted free thinker who is willing to make change in this world. I embrace the opportunity to be a mother. I have the peace of mind to know that all the worries I had about being a mom will work themselves out.

So we’re not technically “trying” to have a baby. We’re just prepared to have one. We will continue to make love unprotected and take pregnancy tests every month and let nature run its course.

2 very crazy experiences happened to me today regarding becoming a mother:
(1) I had lunch with a friend today and this what my fortune cookie said: Something special is coming your way.
(2) After lunch went to go see the Dalai Lama which of course was mind-blowing. He said something that resonated with me: (pardon me while I try to paraphrase his Holiness) Compassion is something my mother taught me. It has stayed with me my entire life, even now at my old age. It is not something I learned from my guru or my lama, my mother was my guru.

I am just so completely happy.

6 comments:

Roonie said...

You are very, very ready, my friend. I am looking forward to the day you call and say, "WE'RE GOING TO BE PARENTS!"

P.S. - Another very, very bad night tonight. The worst. Will tell you about it tomorrow :(

West Coast Mommy said...

You're gonna love being a mom :)

Dilly Bar said...

when you told me, I first thought it was another whimsical idea, being as capricious as you are. But then I thought about it, and sometimes people just know when they are ready for a new chapter in their lives, - and when you do, why wait? Like the night you decided to marry vijay, you just knew, eloped, and have a marriage only few could dream of. You do know ani, and Im so happy for you! Yay baby!

Bengali Chick said...

Thanks Roonie! WCM I can't wait. Dilly I love you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chic Mommy said...

who know, you may have to change your screen name to Bengali Mommy soon.

sherni said...

this is so cute .. i'm so happy for you. It's amazing to know that you can get that feeling when you just know you're ready. Sending you baby dust =)

ZONKERS, refound my blog (THIS blog) from 2005

Wow, it's cringe worthy in all of its honest glory.  I am in the middle of re-reading almost 500 posts.  It's awesome to relive most...