Thursday, March 28, 2013

Day 2 & 3 of Detox

Mental hunger.  I was never actually physically hungry.  I learned a powerful lesson, my body doesn't need as much food as I desire or fantasize about.  I just love food.  Nothing makes me happier than a tasting menu at the finest restaurants. During this cleanse I fantasized about eating just about everything.  If it wasn't for my good friend CC who did the cleanse with me, I would have quit.

The first day after the cleanse I grabbed my ergo and my 20+ pound baby and hiked Runyon Canyon.  It was a quick hour workout on a steep incline.  Although I hadn't eaten in three days, the hike was easy. I felt strong.  Clearly my body was able to do a moderate hike on 3 days of juice.

Shit.  I over consume.  I never realized I was mentally hungry because I work so incredibly hard to be healthy.  I do yoga, pilates, and hiking at least 4-5 times a week, I eat super healthy and I have a clean bill of health and a small percentage of body fat.  But I would also love to eat an entire bag of cheetoes or curly fries... or just about anything salty or sweet.

Shit.  I'm mentally hungry.  I have a demon.

My dad died from eating crap.  He developed diabetes that he allowed to spiral so out of control that his kidneys shut down.  He ended up on dialysis,  followed by a transplant, cancer and a terrible death.  I've never seen someone inhale a bag of chips like my dad.  He was always mentally hungry.

After his death I vowed to be healthy and strong.  I was never going to go out like that.  So I eat organic nutritious foods and am in crazy good shape.... yet,  I'm still mentally hungry.  Profound realization for me.

I need to meditate daily.  I also need to challenge myself like this at least twice a year.  I'll conquer mental hunger.

1 comment:

KrissyMo said...

I think we also need to be generous and kind while trying to improve through cleansing or meditation. It's so easy to beat yourself up for over indulging and constantly demand improvement from your body and mind. It's much more difficult (for me at least) to be grateful for what my body CAN do.

That's what I'm working on right now - being grateful for what I can do, while trying to be better in the areas where I want to improve. (Where I used to think, 'K, this is shit, you should be better!' now I try to mentally change course and think 'K, you're trying. It's OK that you can't make it into Marichyasana D today, but keep working at it, you'll be able to do it in the future')

-Kristine

ZONKERS, refound my blog (THIS blog) from 2005

Wow, it's cringe worthy in all of its honest glory.  I am in the middle of re-reading almost 500 posts.  It's awesome to relive most...