Friday, February 16, 2007

The Law of Attraction: Challenge

One of the main reasons I started this blog was due to my interest in the law of attraction. Of course I am a doubting Thomas and the self-created doubts kept me from fully exploring this new way of thinking. The things that I know that are true about myself are the following:
  • I lose hope easily.
  • I have a blessed life, meaning I have an amazing husband, a good job and wonderful friends and family; yet, I am often plagued with bouts of "woe is me" syndrome.
  • I am a pessimist.
  • I recognize that this is not a good way to live.
My dad has endless hope and optimism, I have a lot to learn from him as well as others. As I have written in previous posts, my dad was not lucid for 1 1/2 weeks. The doctors had given up hope. They felt that chemo was simply not an option in his state. Further, his oncologist and team of doctors told us that even if chemo was an option, his chance of survival is slim. When my own father couldn't recognize me, I lost all hope. I thought this was the end. Bengali Dude is a lot like me and he too lost hope. We wallowed in self-pity.

Siva works for my parents part-time and has been quasi-adopted by my family, as his family is in India. He has a rich unshaking faith. He came to see my dad, b/c he is that kind of wonderful person, and he never lost faith that my father would recover. He repeated several times, "do not lose faith, he will get better, believe in that." I dismissed him. While I found his faith to be inspirational, I also found it to be delusional. On Valentine's Day, my mom and I went to see my dad armed with roses, he was completely lucid. My dad was his old self. I asked him if he wanted chemo and he mustered up all the strength inside of him and said, "Of course I do. I'm going to live. I'm going to see my grandchild. You promised me that we would celebrate New Year's Eve with my grandkid." Where does my father find this eternal optimism? Where does he get these convictions?

Clearly I am doing something wrong. I want that kind of hope. I want to always be happy. I don't want to sit here, with such a blessed life, and ever be depressed for a moment. I want to change. I need to change. My way of thinking has done nothing good for me, NOTHING. Yes, I write posts about being positive, but that is so fleeting with me. Pathetic.

Siva had been raised by a devout Hindu family and he lost touch with that. Two years ago he was inspired to be connected to his faith. Being an engineer, he needed to set up an experiment to see whether the faith could bring value to his life. He decided to give himself a finite period of time where he would re-learn his faith and embrace it in order to evaluate the faith's utility. I am going to do the same. I have met too many people the last few years that have steered me towards the law of attraction. I don't know why. What I do know is that I have to believe that it's for a reason and not just a mere coincidence. For the next 30 days, I will practice the law of attraction and each post will be dedicated to my journey.

7 comments:

Mediocre Blogger said...

I hope you find what you're looking for.

Anonymous said...

I think you are so fake!Obviously , this comment willnever see the light of day. Who cares!

Bengali Chick said...

Anon: try trolling elsewhere. If you don't care, then don't read my blog or post comments.

Pardesi Gori said...

I struggle with keeping up hope and enthusiasm too.

I read motivational books and generally try to keep a positive attitude but even in the midst of a great week, I will feel myself crashing inside, almost as if it has nothing to do with my mind or attitude but more a physiological/chemical thing.

It will pass... said...

Best of luck to you! I struggle with Pessimism, too. I try so hard to be bright and happy and positive. But it's hard.

One of my favorite things to do and feel good about is to help kids. It makes me feel like I can change the world. Try Jerry's Kids or volunteer at a children's hospital or a childcare center.

I think that to expect to be ALWAYS happy is a misillusion. It's impossible. Sometimes bad things happen, and there's nothing you can do about it. You grieve, you feel, you learn and then you continue living life, being the best that you can be.

Ok, that's a lot of sentimental crap for a comment... Sorry!

Yay about your dad. Keep your chin up! Your in my thoughts!

ViV said...

Great info.

I watched the Secret DVD a few months ago and got another book on Law of Attraction,
but it didn't really start happening for me until I wrote down my intentions. I found that to be
VERY powerful.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0975436171/ is a book I just got, which makes
planning out your Law of Attraction goals easy. Just fill in the blanks and you've got a road
map to follow. Has been working well so far.

Anonymous said...

Great info.

I watched the Secret DVD a few months ago and got another book on Law of Attraction,
but it didn't really start happening for me until I wrote down my intentions. I found that to be
VERY powerful.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0975436171/ is a book I just got, which makes
planning out your Law of Attraction goals easy. Just fill in the blanks and you've got a road
map to follow. Has been working well so far.

ZONKERS, refound my blog (THIS blog) from 2005

Wow, it's cringe worthy in all of its honest glory.  I am in the middle of re-reading almost 500 posts.  It's awesome to relive most...