Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Vegetable Biryani -- Quick & Easy



Vegetable biryani used to scare me to death.  I can't seem to understand how to cook rice partially on the stove top and finish off in the oven (my rice is either hard or disgustingly mushy) and my mom just happens to be the reigning chicken biryani queen.  I finally conquered this dish by using parts of this recipe and my brother's recipe. 

First, make the rice on the stove top:

  • In a large pot heat up coconut oil (can sub with olive oil, grape seed oil, etc.).  Then add 1 cinnamon stick, 2 cloves and 2 cardamon to the oil.  
  • Once all of the whole spices get fragrant, add 1 cup of basmati rice (I used brown rice) and fry until the rice gets golden.  
  • Then add tons of water and boil the rice until perfectly cooked.  There is no need to measure the water because you simply strain the rice in a colander.  EASY.

Second, cook veggies and make a veggie masala:

  • Heat oil in a big ass skillet.  Saute 1/2 an onion and 1/2 a bell pepper until onion turns transparent.
  • Then add spices to the onion bell pepper mix:  1.5 teaspoons biryani masala (ready made from the Indian store), 1/4 teaspoon Lahore fish masala ( ready made from the Indian masala), 1 cinnamon, 1 bay leaf and 2 teaspoons ginger/garlic paste (I was lazy and used the pre-made stuff from the Indian store).  Make sure this spice paste does not burn!!!  Saute for a minute or two until the spices smell fragrant.  
  • I had steamed cauliflower on hand and added that to the skillet plus 1 cup of frozen veggies and golden raisins.  
  • Saute everything until the veggies are cooked.  
Third, mix it all up:

I dumped the rice into my skillet which contained the veggie masala mix.  I added salt to taste and lemon juice.  I roasted some cashews and added that to the mix.  Lastly, I fried up onions and sprinkled on top of the biryani for a crunchy and flavorful garnish.

No comments:

ZONKERS, refound my blog (THIS blog) from 2005

Wow, it's cringe worthy in all of its honest glory.  I am in the middle of re-reading almost 500 posts.  It's awesome to relive most...