Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Mental Clarity

I started meditating as part of my challenge. I must say, I am happier and I have greater mental clarity. I’ve had an internal debate regarding the work/career/profession debacle. As a feminist and a law school graduate, I feel guilty for even thinking about opting out of the workforce. I go back and forth on the issue.

My fears were image based. I was scared of being judged, specifically by other women. Mental clarity hit on Sunday morning. I went to my film festival meeting and we had a few new members, thus did the introduce ourselves thing. One member made a request that we share where we worked and what we did for a living. When it was my turn, I stated my name and profession and got a few oohs and aaahs (before that would have mattered). Two women stated that currently they are not working and happy being wives. Jealous isn’t the right word, but I desired to be able to say that. I wanted to say, “right now I’m a wife and mother.”

Currently, I want to stay at home and be a nurturing wife and mother while pursuing my passions. I want to opt out of the traditional workforce. For the first time, I can type these words with ZERO guilt. Ironically, I feel liberated.

7 comments:

~Little Bull~ said...

You have NO idea how happy I am that you had an epiphany!! Good for you! See, it feels good to say it huh?

tamasha said...

Isn't the whole point of women's lib and feminism for us to have a choice, rather than force us to work?

Good for you. Don't feel guilty. You're prioritizing, and priorities change, constantly.

It will pass... said...

Rock on Chica!

I am a wife and a mother. I am also a full time peon, but that piece of my life is meaningless. The only important thing in my life is that I am a wife and mother. Rawr!

Did you take a test?

Roonie said...

No matter what anyone thinks, it's up to you to make yourself happy. And make the decisions for YOU that make you happy. Because ultimately, YOU are the one that has to live your life! Societal norms be damned!

kit and kumari said...

you know, i recently underwent the same sort of weird transformation. i always figured myself to be a "career chick" but professional life can be a letdown. i'm ready to say now that my career aspirations don't dominate my goals...

still i'm having a hard time. i feel more like a "housewife" and i'm struggling to redefine myself. good luck with your transition! i hope your insights will help me!

Anonymous said...

How do you meditate? I've always wanted to learn to meditate but am overwhelmed by the many, different types of information on meditation. If you know of any good books (or even websites) on meditation, can you please recommend them? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

You seem to be a very pretentious person, with very very shallow inner life, if any. Are you really so poor that you cannot afford very much? wHY don´t you own a house and why are you not with a child? You must have done something quite bad in earlier years and now the entities are punishing you. There is a balance in life, you know it.

Jorge

ZONKERS, refound my blog (THIS blog) from 2005

Wow, it's cringe worthy in all of its honest glory.  I am in the middle of re-reading almost 500 posts.  It's awesome to relive most...