Monday, March 19, 2007

Don’t Call It Discharge

On the plane, I read national bestseller, Taking Charge of Your Fertility, by Toni Weschler. I definitely remember being confused by the “discharge” that came out of my yoni for a good many years after puberty. My best friend and I hypothesized that the discharge was how our respective yonis cleaned themselves, by spitting up phlegm like substance. We were wrong. Dead wrong.

Cervical fluid is the medium though which sperm travel in order to reach the egg. So here are the stages the yoni goes through (try it yourself by inserting two fingers into your yoni):
1. Period is over. Yoni is dry, no fluid coming out.
2. Sticky fluid, kinda like rubber cement.
3. Creamy like lotion.
4. Eggwhite, seriously looks like egg whites. No joke. Stretchy suckers at this point, it stretches 1 to 10 inches!! This is baby-making time or avoid unprotected sex like the plague.
5. Yoni stays dry for the rest of the cycle. I, like many other women, notice a very wet yoni a day or two before my period. My panties soak up egg white looking substance. This is not cervical fluid. This is the endometrium breaking down and flowing out of the yoni.

So in summary, sticky slippery yoni juices are uber important in baby making. This is important stuff; nothing that is dirty or needs to be cleaned with douche. Ms. Weschler states in her book,

..I would suggest you never use the “d-word” to describe your healthy cervical fluid. After all, we don’t refer to men’s healthy semen as discharge.
Cervical Fluid = Magical Yoni Potion

11 comments:

A wavering feather... said...

Wow, I had no idea. Until now I thought it was my vagina just cleaning itself. Good to know =)

It will pass... said...

Magical yoni fluid... I love it! Very informative posting. Thanks!

Mango P said...

woah... i NEVER realized this. Thanks for the info. When it is white, I felt like I was dirty or something and having "isues" down there. Glad to hear that I'm okay!

-MangoP

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

I'm so glad I was eating lunch while reading this.

Bengali Chick said...

I like to edumucate, but do apologize for ruining any meals!

squeaks said...

erm... good to know.

Zed said...

Good stuff, BC!
I didn't know any of this either. Eh - what if you get the egg white stuff but it's not stretchy and rubbery like you say?

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

My own fault! Though it was very informative.

Bengali Chick said...

Zed: Do you check everyday? For at least a day it generally will get to the eggwhite status. If it doesn't, I wouldn't worry though.

Squeaks & GPS: I'm glad it was informative!

This is part of my yoni series.

Anonymous said...

This post was very informative. Thanks BC. I remember asking this to my Gynecologist, she said its normal. She didn't explain it any furthur. This would have been so helpful. I wouldn't feel disgusted or dirty down there.

Loving My Life said...

It is absolutely amazing how so many woman are not aware how their body works. There should really be a course in school on this. I know I didn't have a damn clue until I was trying to conceive. What a shame!

ZONKERS, refound my blog (THIS blog) from 2005

Wow, it's cringe worthy in all of its honest glory.  I am in the middle of re-reading almost 500 posts.  It's awesome to relive most...