Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Hubby's Anti-Game

This blogger wrote a post on anti-game. I loved it. Her post reminded me of the following story about hubby.

I was hubby's editor. I had never met him. I was immediately attracted to his words and had a crush on him. I found this man to be intelligent, articulate and witty. My friend AK, the Editor-in-Chief, said to me, "uhm Bengali Chick, look at his resume, I bet you he's some short and pimply Indian guy. A nerd. Seriously, probably not your type." [Forgive my awful paraphrase AK.] Still, I was always looking for an excuse to email hubby, my favorite author, about a footnote problem.

Luck had it that AK and I were in the same city as hubby for Spring Break. We threw a party and decided that I would cook a Bengali feast for friends. I had the perfect excuse to invite over hubby to our party, to go over his article after the party of course. I invited him and he came. I found out later that I too had peeked hubby's interest. He was curious about my Latina name. We had never met in person or seen pics.

The doorbell rang and AK went to answer the door. I was wearing a mini skirt, a fitted tank top and platform sandals. My head was in the stove checking on the basmati rice and only my ass and legs were visible. I discovered that hubby was in the kitchen as soon as I closed the oven door. He was not a short, pimply or nerdy looking Indian guy. Effing unbelievably hawt stuff...of course I thought, "sh*t, do I look greasy from all of this cooking?" I tried to talk to him all night but he played coy. After the party I finally got an opportunity to sit next to him. His voice was sweet and sincere. He didn't talk about himself or boast about his accomplishments. He was completely down to earth and mellow. My little author was a shy cutie.

Fast forward a few months....

AK and I moved to the Bay. Hubby and I had not spoken in this time period. I got caught up with finals and packing, plus his article had been published, I no longer had the footnotes excuse. I did add hubby to my Friendster page. AK and I called up hubby to hang out on a Friday night, soon after we moved to the Bay. AK and I hung out with hubby and 2 of his buddies. The night ended with holding hands and a Punjabi tongue in my mouth.

The next day I went to Williams-Sonoma with AK in San Francisco. Hubby called me. No games. This is what he said, "I really enjoyed spending time with you last night. I hope I didn't monopolize your time." He had me at "monopolize."

That to me my friends is anti-game.

5 comments:

It will pass... said...

What a freakin' fabulous story!

brown sugar said...

How Sweet! :-)

Roonie said...

I hate the games.

Janeofalltrades said...

Oh my gosh love the story. I so love the anti game. I've been on the receiving end of the game for so long I was beginning to believe it was the norm. Until I met the man of my dreams. He was so completely honest and forthcoming I kept thinking there was something wrong with him. Everytime I found out more I kept thinking there was something I didn't know more. I'm glad at some point I realized that it wasn't a game but the real deal. He's the best thing that's happened to me and I swear it was all the anti game. Before we even met he gave me both his cell and home number and he had me. There was no shadyness. I never realized how important that was.

Bengali Chick said...

JOAT: Isn't that crazy? I was definitely hesitant about hubby's anti-game, I kept waiting for the truth. The notion of a guy being honest, being faithful, no games and wanting a commitment were unbelievable to me.

ZONKERS, refound my blog (THIS blog) from 2005

Wow, it's cringe worthy in all of its honest glory.  I am in the middle of re-reading almost 500 posts.  It's awesome to relive most...