Saturday, March 31, 2007

Biological Time Clock Isn't Fair

My OBGYN congratulated me on trying to conceive at 27 because a woman's fertility starts to decline by her mid to late 20's. Biology doesn't play fair. Most of my girlfriend did things the smart way, in my humble opinion:
  • graduate from college
  • enter graduate school or go abroad (something I wish I did) or do something interesting
  • focus on their careers
  • become financially independent
  • take the time to grow, discover themselves
  • find a boy, dump boy because he's a loser (repeat several times) not settle for loser boy
  • maybe find suitable boy to settle down with and have children
Children were not even part of my equation until I found hubby and got married. I never thought about my fertility. I was more focused on finding a job that I actually liked. I believe I did things the right way, because now I feel emotionally and financially ready to have children. Luckily age isn't an issue for me, because I met hubby directly out of law school at age 24 (complete and pure luck). I think that's rare when living in a major city.

Should my chic, savvy, smart, and cultured girlfriends be penalized by biology for taking the time to be emotionally/financially ready for children and waiting for suitable partner to come along instead of procreating with Mr. Wrong or Mr. I Settled For? My one friend, S, is being penalized b/c she got married at 35 (finding super hot job and super amazing partner can take time) and has tried for 4 years to get pregnant to no avail. The doctors tell her that IVF is her only option. I'm happy to say she opted for adoption, of course she's on a 2 year waiting list. Biologically, we should all have gotten knocked up when we were 17, all we would have to do is look at a penis to get impregnated.

Lesson learned: teenage pregnancy is a good thing**

**I'm being cheeky, but I didn't have to tell you that.

9 comments:

Zed said...

good post. totally isn't fair. but i do hear of women having babies later on in age (30+). i wonder if there is some place with reliable stats?

Bengali Chick said...

Oh Troll: I am a brown goddess. You made me feel so good today. I know you're obsessed with me and addicted to this blog. Enjoy masturbating over my words and fantasizing about my brown bod.

Priscilla said...

Troll: Why don't you tell us exactly where BC lives and works since you pretend to know so much about her?

Did you become God overnight? I don't think heaven allows trolls.

Since you work with BC's husband why don't you tells us what he's currently working on, it common knowledge at his place of work.

I know all of this because I actually know BC.

Oh, you can't tell us anything b/c you're nothing but pathetic lonely girl. Poor thing. Go away and stop coming to her blog, you sick b*tch.

Rush said...

To each her own...

Bengali Chick said...

Rush: I agree with "to each her own." Freedom of choice gets a bit skewed by biology, not always of course. I just wish that my fertility did not start decreasing until my late 30's.

Roonie: You're hilarious.

Zed: I'm so tired of my OBGYN and her damn fertility statistics. I feel like a farm animal.

kit and kumari said...

funny i should read this post today... there is an article in the NY Times magazine about the lengths women will go through to conceive. (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/01/magazine/01wwlnlede.t.html?ref=magazine)


27 is "early" although not as our biology might compel us to procreate. indian parents do a great job of passing on a very linear model to their children, especially girls, which is the "education---> employment---> marriage---> parenthood" model. what they, and we, don't count on is that sometimes one or more of those takes longer than we anticipate so the timeline is drawn out. definitely not ideal from a biological standpoint.

but we all know that having a baby is just one small part in the raising of a child. seems to me i'd rather take my chances with conception than with parenthood.

and Troll-- this ain't a bridge! find someother place to lurk.

Bengali Chick said...

LB: Still waiting:(

K&K: "seems to me i'd rather take my chances with conception than with parenthood." you summed up the issue so succinctly. girl, you have a way with words.

It will pass... said...

My hubby and I did things the "wrong" way. And I've never been happier. My new Father-in-Law was very rude to me last week about how wrong our way was... Having baby rather than seeking career/ making big money. He implied that I have a lesser life because of it. But I completely disagree. My life is perfect. Not sure what I'm getting at... Just fuming about my FIL.

Your day will come. I know it.

Bengali Chick said...

It Will Pass: I'm so sorry. This is your life and he has no right to pass judgment. What happened to being supportive?

ZONKERS, refound my blog (THIS blog) from 2005

Wow, it's cringe worthy in all of its honest glory.  I am in the middle of re-reading almost 500 posts.  It's awesome to relive most...