Thursday, March 15, 2012

REDRUM, 27

http://cdn1.newsone.com/files/2010/04/stop-the-violence.jpg


Unfortunately, there's been a murder in the family.  My cousin lost his life at the tender age of 22 (urban violence).  The loss had me think long and hard about our own responsibility in this world.  I felt guilt for living in joy.  I felt as if his death was a collective failure on part of my family.  The thought that struck me was -- I want to make change in the world, and I can't even do it for my extended family.

Reiki and mediation helped of course, as usual.  I can not change anyone.  I do not have that ability.  I can not force someone's heart to open and choose to be more responsible, stay away from gang violence, etc.  I have no such powers.  But, I control my own state of being and that state of being is contagious.  If I choose to live in joy, I am emanating that with every step I take to my surrounding world.

Instead of indulging in sorrow and guilt, these are the steps I can actively take:
  • Reiki & meditation daily
  • Be present in every moment
  • Teach my children about gratitude
  • Be grateful and cherish all of my blessings
  • Continue to work in service
  • Continue to be joyful
All of this is enough.

Day 26:  Age 27
So I sent Reiki back to 27 year old me, to my father's funeral.  My chest was heavy with sorrow.  My cousin, that passed recently, was 15 (maybe 16) and he told me about his violent world.  I listened.  I tried to give advice.  I sent Reiki to my heart chakra.  Very soon the anxiety and sorrow passed.  I was at peace.

RIP cousin, I hope you too are now in peace.

No comments:

ZONKERS, refound my blog (THIS blog) from 2005

Wow, it's cringe worthy in all of its honest glory.  I am in the middle of re-reading almost 500 posts.  It's awesome to relive most...