Saturday, March 16, 2013

Vitamix is the bomb.com

Wow. Just wow. It is kitchen appliance extraordinaire. It's not just a blender, it actually helps me live a healthier life. Is the cost justified? Absolutely, hands down. I am pretty cheap and even I was ready to spend $500 after doing research and talking to friends who own a vitamix. Luckily I was able to get one for $380 at costco. Regardless, It's worth every cent. I use my vitamix throughout the day.

I make green smoothies with kale, chard, beet greens, etc. on a daily basis. The greens are pulverized and my smoothie is silky smooth. No chunks or pieces of leaves! Silky smooth -- it's unbelievable. This means that even with the craziness of three kids I still get to have a delicious glass or two of a nutritiously dense smoothie. I'm talking 2 to 3 cups of kale or other green leafy vegetable in a smoothie.



Basic green smoothie:
1 small apple
1 lemon (I like to take the skin off, remove seeds and put into vitamix; or you could just squeeze the juice)
Ginger (I use an inch)
2 handfuls of kale (removing stems is ideal)
Turmeric or cayenne pepper
Water
(JalapeƱo because I like mine spicy)

I even made ice cream today that my kids went bananas over. The vitamix pulverizes ice and frozen fruits! The consistency was that of frozen yogurt (not the soft serve variety). Very much reminded me of turkey hill frozen yogurt.


Strawberry ice cream:
1 frozen banana (slice before freezing ripe bananas)
handful frozen strawberries
splash or two of cashew milk

I just mentioned cashew milk in the recipe above. I never really understood the nut milk hype. It tasted pretty bland at the grocery store. The homemade stuff is completely different. Creamy. Decadent. Sweet. Satisfying. The recipe for cashew milk is insanely easy.


Cashew milk:
1 cup cashews
3 cups milk

I enjoyed a delicious cashew milk green smoothie today. The cashew milk provided all the sweet I needed. Toddlers and baby approved.


Breakfast smoothie:
1 cup cashew milk
Water as needed
Handful frozen strawberries
2-3 cups spinach
1/4 cup oats

Next week I will be doing spring juice detox with my vitamix. Buying juices for a cleanse in LA, if you actually pick up the juices, costs a minimum of $75 based on my research. No thanks!!

My vitamix has paid for itself. I'm completely obsessed.

p.s.  Vitamix makes awesome margaritas!!!


Strawberry margarita:
1 bag of frozen organic strawberries
4 limes (remove skin)
6 shots of tequila
3-4 tablespoons agave
2 glasses ice
(3 servings)

No comments:

ZONKERS, refound my blog (THIS blog) from 2005

Wow, it's cringe worthy in all of its honest glory.  I am in the middle of re-reading almost 500 posts.  It's awesome to relive most...