Saturday, January 20, 2007

Lost In Translation

Somewhere between the Bengali, English and my favorite Benglish, communications between my parents and me gets lost. My parents, unfortunately, don't have a great grasp on the English language, and when they communicate to me what they hear from anyone who speaks to them soley in English (which is basically everyone in regards to their jobs/health) the tranlation is always murky at best.

Yesterday: I get good news from mom.
Today: I get confused news from my dad.

Finally, I go to my brother who tells me the real deal. This is when I'm jealous. Jealous that I'm a 6 hour drive away from my family and am not involved in ther daily activities and needs. My younger brother has to act as an emissary for my parents, explaining their lives to me.

1 comment:

roonie said...

I know it sucks, believe me. But at least this sort of interaction will strengthen the bond between you and your brother. And there's a whole lot of good that can come out of that.

ZONKERS, refound my blog (THIS blog) from 2005

Wow, it's cringe worthy in all of its honest glory.  I am in the middle of re-reading almost 500 posts.  It's awesome to relive most...