Monday, February 26, 2007

Another Try: Religion vs. Liberal Beliefs

Truly, I have never practiced Catholicism (C) as an adult. Yes, I went to Catholic School, received Confirmation and the whole nine yards, but I have always resisted C. The funny thing is that while I have always tried to search for God, I’ve searched everywhere but in the religion that I was brought up with. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think organized religion is necessary; however, I do believe that for me it maybe beneficial.

There’s so much about C that I don’t agree with (I’m pro-choice, pro-sex, pro-birth-control, pro-gay-marriage, etc.). But when I close my eyes and meditate/pray, and think of “God”, it’s always the face of Jesus that I see. It’s true, I freaking admit it, I’m not a cool kid. I want to say that it’s more than mere indoctrination, out of all the Messiahs out there (and I give mad props to them), I vibe with Jesus the best. Yes, and I do find Catholic Liturgy to be beautiful.

Question (for the next 40 days or so): How do I (and you dear reader) reconcile your desire to be part of a religion that is beautiful in many ways and simultaneously hold your ground as a liberal, when those liberal beliefs contradict many of the religion’s dogmas?

I have no answers thus far. And that’s okay, the answers will come. Well, it’s high time I give this Catholic thing a chance…it’s Lent and the timing just seems right. Let’s see where this journey takes me.

8 comments:

It will pass... said...

Hmmm... interesting thoughts. I don't think that one can have it both ways. This, my friend, is one of the main reasons that I steer clear of organized religion. It's too narrow, hypocritical, and judgemental. I am spiritual within myself and my life. I have my beliefs, I do good, and I will not allow anyone to counter what I feel.

I don't mean to discourage, so please don't take it as that. Best of luck to you, and may your heart peace and resolution.

Roonie said...

Well, Lent seems like a good time to begin your reexploration of your religion.

CM said...

I know some people say you can't be Catholic without accepting everything the Church says, but do you believe that? Is it important to you to call yourself a Catholic?

For me, my family is Hindu and although I don't believe everything in the religion, I still see a lot of ideas in it that resonate with me. I may not truly be a Hindu, but I think the important thing is to to figure out what you believe. It sounds like you're pretty dedicated to doing that.

Anonymous said...

I think firstly, it is important to realize that many religions are pluralistic- that is, they have many different interpretations. Secondly, I don't think it is that important to say you fit into xx box or follow yy religion, only that you have a good heart and follow whatever rights and rituals help you to achieve your goal (or manifest your destiny). Best of luck in your search.

Mediocre Blogger said...

It's important to recongnize the distinction between religon and spirituality. Catholic religious doctrine stems from the Vatican, and if you disagree with a lot of what the Pope says, then yes, you might not be able to reconcile your beliefs with that of your religon. Still, if going to mass and hearing liturgy is spiritually fulfilling to you, then by all means participate. I very much believe one can pick and choose when it comes to religious belief because the religion is subservient to my own spirituality.

Tia said...

I can relate to your unwavering belief in God and Jesus. With the lastest buzz surrounding James Cameron's film The Lost Tomb of Jesus and the skepticism and backlash, my belief in God is unchanged. Is this faith or delusion? I don't know.

Delfino Rules said...

It is impossible to reconcile Catholicism with liberalism; the two are mutually exclusive. Catholicism is an essentialist philosophy; it dictates at its core that regardless of dogma, one must embrace Jesus Christ as the one true Savior in order to be Saved themselves. In essence, it dictates that everyone who doesn't do so is a sinner and destined to damned to hell. I don't think it is possible to reconcile this belief with my view of liberalism, that all people are created equally with the same propensity towards good and bad, and that their actions are mainly determined by their socialization and circumstances.

Please believe in what ever gives you strength and makes you feel whole, but understand that espousing catholic beliefs means you assume most people that look like you are misguided, unholy and generally lost and immoral. Is that what you believe?

Bengali Chick said...

I hear all of you. I want to go somewhere on Sundays to be with a communty, pray/meditate together, and here wise words to focus me spiritually for the week.

But no I don't view people in such black and white terms: holy/unholy or sinner/non-sinner. My philosophy is to each his own as long as you're not hurting someone. Be a good person. Pretty simple stuff.

What about liberal Catholic? (Partially joking). Thanks for the comments, I've got a lot to think about.

ZONKERS, refound my blog (THIS blog) from 2005

Wow, it's cringe worthy in all of its honest glory.  I am in the middle of re-reading almost 500 posts.  It's awesome to relive most...