Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Message Recall SuccessfulI

I am a f***ing moron. That's the best way to put it. This post might make some laugh out loud because I had a Jerry Seinfeld moment at work yesterday. It's around 4:30 PM and my friend T (she works in my office) calls me and tells me she met a man in Vegas – a 57 year old man (the girl is 26). She tells me she'll be in my office in 10 minutes. I send her a silly email:

Title: Dying of Anticipation
Subject: I am literally dying right now in my office eagerly waiting for you. My supervisor is gone -- so coast is totally clear. I'll be photocopying .. Waiting for the 411.

I press send, in the corner of my eye I see that the email was sent to my supervisor instead. PANIC – MAD PANIC over takes me. What the F do I do now? The scheming starts. I make mad phone calls to colleagues – bugging out. I have 3 fellow colleagues in my office and another one on conference call. Here are a few of the ideas that my colleagues came up with: break the computer (uhmm hello it's government property and the message was sent over email), break the computer password and get into her system (once again I don't want to go to jail and when the hell did I become some sort of brilliant code breaker), and finally the brilliant comment – bombard her email with recall's. If you didn't know – you can recall messages on Microsoft Outlook. You simply click "Recall Message." Once you hit recall the recipient gets 2 emails: one being the recall email and the second being the email that would screw me over. The problem is, if my supervisor clicks the "evil" email first – my goose is cooked b/c the recall willfail. We decide if we bombard her inbox with recall messages then she'll most likely click one of the many recalls.

I go home – after all the scheming and tell my husband how clearly stupid I am and he just laughs at me like a hysterical hyena. Obviously I need an alternate plan in case the recall fails – the email was shady as hell and she would ask me questions if the recall failed. The scheming starts again – this time with various friends on my cell. I finally come up with a good one. It was T's last day of work – she's going to the Downtown LA office – and we have a meeting today at work (one of our huge official meetings) – I decide if asked by mysupervisor I will tell her that T was giving me a gift certificate for our local bakery and I was going to buy pastries for our meeting as a surprise (hey I was desperate and this was the best excuse I could come up with). You better believe I got up as early as hell this morning and brought in a box of pastries. I log onto my email – heart pounding and sweat dripping down my forehead – praying to JC that all will be well and I open my inbox. Nothing has made me happier than seeing "message recall successful."

I am a complete idiot. A lucky one at that.

2 comments:

sherni said...

Oh my God! That was hilarious. That could totally be a Seinfield episode. Wow - congrats on the successful recall =)

This is the stuff you miss when you're not in an office everyday!

Bengali Chick said...

I would give up all this drama and work for myself in a heartbeat!!!!

ZONKERS, refound my blog (THIS blog) from 2005

Wow, it's cringe worthy in all of its honest glory.  I am in the middle of re-reading almost 500 posts.  It's awesome to relive most...